Thursday, November 15, 2012

Independance is Isolation.



Wow, So I made it. I got the job offer from Northwestern Mutual and I go in today at 2:30 to schedule training. It’s now moving so fast I sort of had an “oh shit” moment this morning as in… What have I gotten myself into?

I have to be totally realistic with myself.

This means a minimum of two years of very long hours and days and constant prospecting activity for the job to make it.

Re-branding myself as the Insurance & Investment lady in my family, to my friends, to my entire network. It’s going to be a challenge. One with incredible reward, but nonetheless a challenge.

Phil, the guy who has worked with my hubby and his business partners for years is the one who referred me so when my stomach started to feel uneasy this afternoon I called his cell… I needed the brunt truth, the absolute give-it-to-me-straight, no frills truth.

He really put my mind at ease. I worry about never diving again, about actually making money with the commission schedule being so tough (and potentially rewarding).

He was driving to a meeting, but he took the time to talk to me. He reminded me that he’s a single earner in a home of 5, soon to be 6, and even as an underwriter at CitiBank he’s never made this much money. Okay, if a dad with that much going on can do it, so can I. I asked him about travel plans, about how we plan to go away for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and he said DO IT, do it now because you won’t have much opportunity to next year, unless you have a steady-packed calendar to show to your mentor. Okay, I kind of expected that. Sucky, but I have to remind myself about the reward of financial peace of mind. He also said, that, realistically, my situation is different. Matt is the primary earner in our house now, unlike his wife that doesn’t work…. He can’t afford vacation, but being as my own boss, it isn’t unlikely or unrealistic to think I can take a week or two off my first year.

Music to my fucking ears…

Speaking with Lockwood, my mentor last night, he told me possibly the most impactful and wonderful testimony of after 8 years, going to his 3rd client funeral, the second this year. And going up to the wife, telling her “I know this won’t bring Tom back, but I hope this helps your family.” And handing her a check for $850,000. She cried, and told him it meant the world, that she wouldn’t have to move, or sell their home, or pull her two kids out of school and uproot their lives.

I almost teared up, I want that for my family, for instance, for Anna, when my parents are gone. This is a product I can get behind, this is something I know I can believe in, to help families take care of their loved ones and plan for a better, more prosperous future.

I am overwhelmed, I am excited, I am scared, and I am in shock. I never, ever thought I would ever make six figures or even close unless I went back to school. I never figured I could contribute to our future in this way, and I am feeling so blessed beyond words.

I feel like all those frustrated prayers I sent heavenward, God I need a different job. God, you see my finances, I need help. God, I hate this job, I really want a career. And longingly looking at graduate programs online for hours but having no direction whatsoever in where I should apply myself.

A totally random lunch conversation with Phil one day spawned all this, telling him my experience at Wells Fargo and how Financial Planning had sparked my interest as something they would train me to do… until I was laid off. I said all this casually, with no real enthusiasm – more just like conversation making, and he said “I can introduce you to my mentor, you should meet him.”

A conversation, a introduction. Besides feeling as though this was literally dropped in my lap from the heavens, I am also truly starting to see the power and magic that Never eat Lunch Alone has been talking about – never being afraid to ask for an introduction and connection to someone’s friends, coworkers, networks.

Connecting is not Networking, Cooperation is not Competition, and Independence is Isolation.

- humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment